A 17-year-old Brockton High School student allegedly stabbed a fellow student Friday afternoon and fled the area before being apprehended, and now the school district is considering bringing in an outside security contractor, officials said.
Brockton police spokesman Darren Duarte confirmed the student’s arrest in a statement. He didn’t name the juvenile suspect due to the person’s age. The victim also wasn’t identified.
“Brockton Police have a 17-year-old student in custody in connection with a stabbing incident of another student at the high school,” Duarte said via email. “A stay in place was ordered at Brockton High School shortly after 12:37 today following a report of a person stabbed.”
Duarte said the suspect “immediately” fled the school grounds after the alleged stabbing. It wasn’t immediately clear where the suspect was arrested.
The victim was taken to the hospital with a non-life-threatening injury, he said.
“The student victim was transported to the hospital with a non-life-threatening injury and was alert and responsive upon transport,” Duarte said. “The investigation is ongoing, and charges are forthcoming.”
Authorities didn’t immediately disclose a motive for the stabbing.
Duarte urged anyone with information about the case to call Brockton police detectives at 508-941-0234.
The stabbing comes several months after a student brought a handgun to the school, prompting new measures to ensure student safety.
Brockton High School began using metal detectors in the fall, after students had to shelter in place Oct. 8 because a student had brought a handgun to school. The student didn’t show the gun to anyone but talked about it with peers, who relayed the information to teachers. The student later surrendered the weapon peacefully, officials said at the time.
In early November, the 4,000-student school switched to performing random bag checks without prior notice, according to Jess Hodges, a district spokeswoman.
The district is now exploring the hiring of an outside agency to support security at school entrances, she said.
“We have struggled to conduct random safety checks since our return to school last week due to understaffing caused by the latest COVID-19 surge,” Hodges said in an e-mail. “The process requires a large number of staff members and we have struggled simply to open the school each day due to staff illnesses.”
A spokesperson for Mayor Robert Sullivan’s office declined to comment, citing the ongoing probe.